Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Busy Day!

Ok, so today was very busy, as most days are for me anymore. I remember looking forward to turning 40, at which point my youngest child would be 5-years old. Surely THEN I could lie on the couch and watch a movie at my leisure. Oh life would be so wonderful and relaxing...I am now 53 and somehow--to my dismay--busier than ever!!! I wish I was joking! It seems that the older I get, the more I have demanded of me. I do try to find time for myself though, time to cook and time to head out for a bike ride with my husband (more about that in later posts).

There are many culprits thieving away my lack of couch-based enjoyment, the first being my father. He just finished his chemotherapy today, so congratulations to him! He had stomach cancer and, as most people die from it, he is very lucky to be alive! However, he did have to endure rounds of chemotherapy and radiation, as well as countless hospital visits and doctors appointments over the past year. He and my mother moved in with us for a few months during his recovery. As if that weren't enough, my mother-in-law is not doing particularly well either, which means more doctor visits--plus I do her hair for her every Saturday. And I'm not sure if it's me or what, but I also seem to have lots of friends who are sick, or in need of surgeries. I try to make a point of preparing food to take to them and their family members. I've dubbed myself an honorary branch of "Meals on Wheels." Call me crazy, but I really think food just makes people feel better.

Ok, I don't want this post to sound completely depressing, but I love taking care of people and it HAS been a hectic past year. All of this while trying to cook for a huge extended family!! I just want people to know that it is possible to cook delicious and healthy meals in spite of running around like a chicken with its head cut off!! Hopefully this blog will be a place where you can come to learn some recipes and tricks to help make that happen in your own home.

When I got married at 19, I couldn't even boil water!!! Luckily, I was surrounded by great cooks. I was even luckier because I paid attention and asked lots of questions. Aunt Giovanna was one of the first to teach me how to cook. I also have to give credit to my mother-in-law, her mother, "Granny," and my husband's paternal grandmother, "Nonna Sadie." They were all amazing cooks in their own right, and I learned so much from all of them.

When I started this post I had every intention of giving you the second recipe from the 4th of July menu, but as you can see I went off on a few tangents. Come back tomorrow for the recipe for my grilled zucchini!


4 comments:

  1. I want the grilled zucchini recipe Nonna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet, Sandie. And I think you are totally right: food makes people happy and helps them feel better. It is pure comfort and love -- especially when it is made with love! So excited for the grilled zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give us the Grilled Zucchini!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Sandie, you are the best cook ever!! I am glad to hear that your dad is finishing chemo! I will keep him and your family in my prayers!! Life is going to be even busier next year with 4 new little ones to take care of! If you are still thinking about taking Luci and running, let me know because I would be happy to join you and you could cook for me EVERYDAY!!! You are great, and I love the blog :)

    Love, Pitts

    ReplyDelete