Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Foolproof Steak



Well...this whole finding time to blog when I am already swamped and pulled in seventeen different directions combined with my budding blogging skills should keep this whole process most interesting. Being the Nonna (Italian for grandmother) of one keeps me hopping. Luci was here today, and trying to find time to blog while having her here from time to time is really proving to be harder than I thought. That being said, I wouldn't change a thing!!!
Our family is almost all grown up!! It's so hard to believe, but our three daughters are married and starting their own families and our 4th child, Joe, leaves for college in three weeks. Where does all the time go???? I can't believe that my last one is already getting ready to leave for college!

I don't have any time to be sad though, as you know we have one granddaughter and by Christmas we will be welcoming a set of triplets! And as if that wasn't enough, I am thrilled to announce that my other daughter is expecting her second child!!!!!! That makes a total of 4 grandchildren on the way all at once. We can hardly believe it, so many blessings!!! So, I'd better get to blogging and sharing recipes while I still have the time!

I believe in my last posting, I promised to share the "foolproof steak" recipe!!! This was adapted from an Ina Garten recipe, I believe you can it find in her "Parties" cookbook. My daughter told me about this recipe after she made it for one of her Ina Garten dinner parties. The only real difference between my version and Ina's is the amount of butter I use. I sort of go with a Paula Deen approach to butter--the more the merrier! This is so EASY and SO delicious!!! It is always a major hit. People go crazy over this and ask how I make it! So, here you go:


Foolproof Filet of Beef
Adapted from Ina Garten's recipe

You will need:
-1 3lbs Beef Tenderloin, or Filet
-1 Stick of Unsalted Butter
-Kosher salt
-Pepper
-Kitchen Twine
-Clean Oven!

The first thing you will need to do is make sure your oven is very clean. You will be cooking this at 500 and if the oven isn't clean (I mean SPOTLESS), whatever is in there WILL smoke up the house.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Make sure the fat is trimmed off the meat (your butcher can do it for you). Tie the meat with twine in 3 or 4 spots--this helps keep the filet together. This next step works better if your butter is at room temperature: spread the butter all over the filet (you can use your hands). Make sure the top, bottom and sides are completely covered with butter. Generously season the filet by sprinkling all sides evenly with salt and pepper. Place the filet on a cookie sheet (probably best to coat the sheet with foil--it makes cleanup a cinch) and place in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 22 to 23 minutes. Remove from the oven cover tightly with foil (the meat will continue to cook and the juices will redistribute throughout the filet making for VERY tender and juicy deliciousness!!). Let rest while covered for 10-20 minutes, then unwrap, slice and enjoy!!

I realize this can be an expensive meal, but you might be able to find this cut of meat cheaper at wholesale clubs like Costco or Sam's club, and sometimes grocery stores will put it on special (probably a good idea to befriend your butcher and stay in touch to find out about deals). Also, if you have your butcher trim it for you, that will help keep the weight down, and thus, the price, as well! There's no sense in paying for fat that's just going to go down the garbage disposal, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment